Our small Christmas tree is up and decorated. We went with white lights this year, though I’m typically a colored-lights-on-the-tree fan. Most of our ornaments are from childhood, including E’s Star Wars Death Star which plays the Emperor’s speech each time the lights click on. So while working in the late afternoon, I’ll suddenly hear this speech coming from our Christmas tree:
“As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station! Fire at will Commander! (explosions)”
It takes a few days to get use to.
I hope your Sunday is filled with something calm and festive. Here’s a few highlights from the internet this week to read while nibbling a baked holiday treat or sipping a hot cup of cocoa (with extra whip cream, because #Sunday).
- For you Anchorman fans out there, the pop-up Stay Classy bar is coming to LA.
- Awards season is in full force. For those in the industry, it seems to start in September and we still have two more months to go. The FYC (For Your Consideration) ads will be everywhere oh-so soon.
- If you’re a documentary fan like me, I highly recommend checking out my friend Basil’s blog, whatnottodoc, for all the latest updates on releases and festival screenings!
- Los Angeles, there is a new 70mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Get on it!
- This happened. #BrisketBlessedByBillMurray
- Speaking of meat, I hope this never happens to me: listen to Radiolab’s Alpha Gal episode.
- The story of A Christmas Story and how it became the American classic it is today.
- RIP Sharon Jones. 2016 has been so cruel against musicians. Take a listen to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings’s Christmas album and watch her soulful journey and hard-fight against cancer in Barbara Kopple’s Miss Sharon Jones!
- In the spirit of giving, here’s a great list of food-based charities and organizations for donating to before the end of the year.
20 days until Christmas. We got this.