Good morning and hello 2017!
At the last-minute (like 10 hours beforehand last minute) E and I invited a few friends over to ring in the new year. A furry of post-travel-cleaning plus a trip to a crowded grocery store followed, but we made it happen. We needed paper crowns too. I’m a sucker for crafting.
This morning we’re celebrating with carbs and coffee. A breakfast feast of biscuits, bacon and eggs. One of E’s Christmas gifts from me was a waffle maker, so we’re skipping the usual Southern style New Years dinner (cabbage, black-eyed peas) and instead cooking (oven) fried chicken and waffles. It pairs well with champagne and will bring a different kind of luck.
Holidays are great, but I’m spent. My first day of 2017 will be one of reflection and rest. And probably some Netflix, let’s be real.
And now, slices of the internet for your hung over enjoyment:
- An interesting collection of essays I’m still digging through: The Ambition Interviews
- The deaths of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds was a weird and sad gut punch. If it was for you too, then I highly recommend checking out Bright Lights when it airs on HBO next week. A wonderful portrait of these remarkable women.
- I travel quite a bit and behavior on planes is definitely a curiosity of mine too. 5 Lessons Learned at 35,000 feet.
- Pinks and purples from 2016.
- It’s been wet and cold in California these days and I’m loving it. We enjoy checking out the Yosemite webcams and wishing we’re tucked away in a valley cabin.
- A fun and honest post reminding that food blogging is work.
Cheers to the new year!
2017, we’re ready for you.