Do you make New Years Resolutions? I haven’t always done it. When I started a few years ago, they were fairly simple: breaking a bad habit (nail-biting) or the typical be-healthier-and-start-exercising…again (most recently with an attempt at yoga). I think of resolutions as goals. They usually shift mid-year resetting with whatever reality has set in by May or September. As the year goes by, I’m changing, so it’s important to remember how the goals may change with me.
With that in mind, here are a few of my goals for 2017:
- Learn how to make jam. My mother-in-law makes amazing raspberry jam and shares it with family and friends often. Not only does it seem like a good tradition to continue, but something needs to go on all the biscuits of 2017!
- Have at least one coffee date a month with a friend or colleague. This may not seem like much, but we’ve all been there. You’re in the midst of Monday’s to-do list and then it’s suddenly Thursday and then how is it the end of the month already and you haven’t seen that person you care about and enjoy chatting with about life? I happens. I feel the predictament is especially true in Los Angeles. Making an effort to see someone who lives a mere 12 miles aways can be much more difficult than it should be. There are boatloads of excuses to keep from sitting in traffic for two hours, yet sometimes you (read: me) should make that extra effort. Social media is no longer an excuse to keep up with people. So part two of this 2017 resolution is: cut back more on Facebook because social interaction is amazing and REAL. If 2016 taught us anything, it’s that life is too short and you should spend quality time with the people you care about. And typing out a hashtag, while amusing, is not actually taking action.
- Read at least one book a month. I go through stages of reading. Last year I got back into a solid reading habit and visited the library often. I want to keep this going and I know it’ll be a struggle when my submission screening is high. I tend to lean more towards nonfiction, with the occasional novel thrown in. I’m currently reading: Year of Yes. Tell me readers, what books should be on my 2017 to-read list?
- Visit a new film festival. I have a regular schedule of festival travel due to work, so the festivals become very familiar. I’d like to add a new regional festival visit to the calendar this year and squeeze in a different fest experience. A SIFF screening may be possible this June, fingers crossed. Will I see you at a festival this year?
- Grow this blog. Starting Cinema Sous Chef was scary and a little challenging between learning the basics of blogging and setting out the time to WRITE. I’ve never thought of myself as a writer, but I’ve enjoyed the learning process of starting a blog and the creative outlet it’s given me. Now I want to dig in and learning how to make it thrive. I will need your help here, so let me know what posts you’ve enjoyed so far or what kind of posts you’d like to see more here. Excited to see what happens and sharing more with you.
What are your resolutions for 2017? Any resolutions you’re proud to say you checked off last year? Best of luck to you and yours!