It has been a week. A being-hit-by-a-bus-multiple-times-and-from-different-directions kind of week. There was gelato. At least two pints of it. And Apollo 13. We watched both out of a remembrance of the late, great Bill Paxton (who I met briefly through my work in Dallas) and because when things are going crazy, it’s nice to watch something where literally everything went wrong – IN SPACE – and people survived. Yes, the movie still holds up. I still think it is one of Ron Howard’s best.
Short and sweet today. A few internet highlights to enjoy with a glass of ice tea:
Enjoy the day. Hope you get to take a nap. I will be!
Here’s the thing, I had my full dose of winter the last two weeks. I walked through a blizzard in Utah. I’m all good on snow and cold weather for 2017, thank you.
Even though it is January, I returned home with an overwhelming urge for spring. I’m eager for spring colors, blooming flowers and Easter dresses. Yesterday we went out for an afternoon treat that seems more suited for warm weather: non-dairy soft serve ice cream. Since my health situation has made me lactose free the last eight months, I haven’t done much ice cream lately. That’s been tough because before this situation ice cream was one of my favorite desserts. This was definitely a decision stemming from my spring fever. Mexican Hot Chocolate with caramel sauce for me and thai tea coconut for E. It was delightful. A great escape with one bite.
Is it bad that I’m rushing through the year when it has only just begun? February and March are always a blur due to work deadlines, so I feel like I’m already looking ahead to April. How else do you slow down?
The internet was overwhelming once again this week. Too much to keep up with. Here’s a few highlights for your weekend reading pleasure:
I love autumn. I’m spending a few days in the beautiful Appalachians of North Carolina. Colored leaves. NorthFace layers. Cozy time sitting in a rocking chair by a fireplace. Cathead-sized biscuits. I’m in heaven.
Hope you are enjoying this beautiful autumn Sunday.
Here’s a slice of the internet for coffee time.
- Margaret Brown (whose short The Black Belt I’ll be posting about next week) released a new short with the New York Times and it’s fantastic. Glenn Beck humanized. Well done, Margaret. Watch “Never Trump. But Then What?”
- The man behind Twitter’s @ArthouseTrump reveals himself.
This sounds familiar: “I noticed early on in high school that there is definitely a very ugly and petty part of the film community, especially online. It seemed like a lot of people use their knowledge of movies as a starting point to belittle others and brag about how much smarter they are than everyone else. It became a kind of boring contest to see who had seen the most obscure films, who could word the most persuasive argument, who could nitpick every word of someone with a different opinion who might not be as articulate.”
- I’ve always loved Pete Souza’s behind-the-scene photos of the Obama administration on Instagram. With less than 100 days in office for the Obamas, Souza has been posting some of his favorite throwback photos.
- I have a soft spot for ceramic mugs. Love the texture and shape of this one.
- I would not be surprised if Chris Kelly’s past year on the festival circuit influenced the creation of this piece on SNL, but this skit nails it. Been there, both as moderator AND audience member. So good.
- A beautiful tea towel with an important message.